"KINDRED SPIRITS ARE NOT SO SCARCE AS I USED TO THINK.
IT'S SPLENDID TO FIND OUT THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM IN THE WORLD."
- Anne of Green Gables

Kindred Spirits

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Jacob the Liar, BBC Planet Earth, Hidalgo, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Movie Reviews

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
A humorous story about a man who goes to town determined to bring home a wife. The only problem: single women are rare in Oregon Territory, and the ones that are single are probably spoken for. Stars Howard Keel, Jane Powell, Jeff Richards.

My rating: 4 1/2 star

Would I watch it again: Yes.

My notes: this movie is okay for children and very enjoyable. There are a couple parts (i.e. an avalanche scene) where very timid children might get bothered by it, but that is very unlikely.
I would recommend this as a fun family film.

Hidalgo
In this true story, set in the 1890's, Frank T. Hopkins is challenged by a sheik to come to race in a 3,000 mile race across the sands of Arabia. No westerner had ever raced in this race and nearly half, if not more, of the contestants didn't even reach the half way point and were often lost forever in the heat and sands of the desert. Frank was a well known endurance rider, he owned a pinto mustang named Hidalgo, and neither Frank nor Hidalgo had ever lost a race: the sheik wanted to see how well this famed Pony Express rider and his horse could do. This movie is entertaining the whole way through and a wild ride. Stars Viggo Mortensen, J.K. Simmons, Zuleikha Robinson

My rating: 4 star

Would I watch it again: I already have several times and still enjoy it, so Yes!

My notes: I would not recommend children under 12 to watch this movie as it has some parts that would be disturb them or be over their heads. Other than that this movie is great and very enjoyable. :)


Planet Earth
Containing groundbreaking footage filmed in HD for the first time, this movie has provided scientists with new information and data that helps them learn more about God's amazing animals. Has AMAZING footage of animals and plants and terrain in every section of the earth. You will be amazed and filled with wonder at God's great creation, although it comes from an evolutionist standpoint. Narrated by David Attenborough.

My rating: 4 stars

Would I watch this again: Most definitely!!

My notes: Children can watch this, but sometimes the animal chases can be scary, understandably (i.e. an arctic wolf catches a baby caribou). I absolutely love this series, but the one blemish it has is that it mentions macro evolution, however it does so minimally. Other than that I would highly recommend this show. It could even be used as a homeschooling tool, with a good dose of Biblical discernment.  It would have been rated 5 stars otherwise.



A story about one Polish man and his determination to bring hope to his fellow Jews in the ghettos during WW2. Stars: Robin Williams, Liev Schreiber, Hannah Taylor-Gordon, Michael Jeter, Alan Arkin.

My rating: 4 1/2

Would I watch it again: Yes!

My notes: This is NOT for children as it contains some disturbing images, etc. in a WW2 ghetto setting. It has very slight language, but not much to worry about. It is very, very good, and I would recommend it. It portrays a very vivid and true picture of this situation. Could be used as an educational tool for kids 13 and up.

As always, please consult with your parents regarding any movies and respect their wishes regarding them!

~Stephanie

No comments: