"KINDRED SPIRITS ARE NOT SO SCARCE AS I USED TO THINK.
IT'S SPLENDID TO FIND OUT THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM IN THE WORLD."
- Anne of Green Gables

Kindred Spirits

Monday, August 16, 2010

Appomattox Court House Trip Pictures (and Some Random Ones)

Here are some pictures of my trip to Appomattox Court House (where Lee signed the surrender to Grant, thereby ending the War Between the States).  With a few random ones thrown in... :)


Yes, I promise you I did take this picture!! Amazing, isn't it? :)

A creek running through Jefferson National Park.

Mmmm... deviled eggs!! One of my favorite foods!

Click on the picture to view larger to read the signs.


The building on the left is the tavern where they published the papers that let the Confederates go free, back to their homes. The building on the right is the general store. Both buildings are original.

I really am sorry, but I didn't get a picture of the outside of the house where Lee signed the surrender document.


Master Bedroom - left side of the room.

Master Bedroom - right side of the room.

Let's see... this was in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Gotta love four poster beds and canopy beds! :)

This is in the same room as the bed above.

This was the kitchen in the bottom story.

And this was the dining room across the hall from it.

In the picture above you will see this above the mantel.

This was on a table in the kitchen... and is one of my favorites! :)

These are the slave quarters of the man who owned the house when Lee came to surrender. It is an original building.


The well in front of the house. This is another favorite picture of mine.

The summer kitchen and another work room in background (in a separate building from the main house).

A stable for the tavern

Another original building in Appomattox Court House.

The picture below is of the inside of the walls of the original jailhouse. The metal framework over the bricks was to keep inmates from gouging out the mortar, removing bricks, and escaping (this is what I'm guessing).


The back of the Court House; the front looks exactly the same, but there were trees blocking the view, so I couldn't take a picture.

There were a few people there re-enacting town life. This is another favorite of mine. :)

The flag at the entrance.

Flags next to headstones at the Confederate graveyard near ACH.

The grave of an unknown soldier. This is another favorite.

I hope you enjoyed this looong post of pictures!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Is Appamattox close to your house? We went there several years ago (actually, I JUST posted about it on my blog last week) and it's only about an hour and a half from us :)

Stephanie said...

~Jo~
No, Appomattox is not near my house... I live in Washington State. I wish that I lived in the South, though! :)

God Bless,
Stephanie

Stephanie said...

Also, what direction are you away from Appomattox? North, South...? If you aren't allowed to divulge that information, that's okay. Just thought I'd ask. :)

God Bless,
Stephanie

P.S. I'm going to be about two hours south of Appomattox until the weekend.

Unknown said...

I am allowed to "divulge" and we live North of Appamattox...right at the foot of the mountain home of our third president :)