"KINDRED SPIRITS ARE NOT SO SCARCE AS I USED TO THINK.
IT'S SPLENDID TO FIND OUT THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM IN THE WORLD."
- Anne of Green Gables

Kindred Spirits

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Opinion on Robin, Alice, and Amy

No, I do not know Robin, Alice or Amy. They aren't friends, they aren't relatives, and aren't real (except maybe Robin... although I think he was called something else in history). But I have watched their movies. :) So here is my reviews on their stories.

 Recently I have seen some movies that I really like... and I don't post about movies unless I like them. If you haven't seen any of these movies, trust me, there are no plot spoilers (at least not major ones). And if you have seen any of these, feel free to drop me a note to tell me what you think. :) I love comments. :)

Little Dorrit (2009)
My Rating: 5 stars
Synopsis: Amy Dorrit is the daughter of a debtor who has been in debtors prison since before she was born. It is all she has ever known. But her luck is changing for good... by the hands of the Dorrit's friend Aurthur Clennam. And then there is the mysterious Rigaud - who is he and what does he want? How will Mr. Dorrit handle this change of fortune and who will Amy choose of the two men who are vying for her affections?
Starring: Claire Foy, Matthew Macfadyen, Andy Serkis, and Tom Courtenay

Okay first off, I really, really liked this movie. I would own it and probably watch it once a year or so. It is a ton easier to watch than read Dicken's, even for an avid reader like myself. The characters are complex and capture your attention. The sets were so interesting and help set the mood of each scene very well. I found myself getting lost in Amy's world - savoring it in fact. But at the same time, I would not recommend this for any one younger than 14 years. The story can have intense parts in it that are just not suitable for younger children.

When I borrowed this TV series from a friend, she told me that Aurthur Clennam was a really sweet character. I did not know what she meant until I watched Little Dorrit. That friend was right... and I was surprised at how "Mr.Darcy" could be so charming. Although he seemed to be too so sweet and easily pushed around by Flora, that I was slightly disappointed by him at times. But he's still a favorite character. :)
And just for your reference... the picture below is Flora. In all her childish, annoying glory. The picture and my two word description of her should tell you what she's like - "...in those long gone days gone by."

Then there is Miss Amy Dorrit. She is pretty, hardworking, caring, honest, and meek (but strong in her own way). She is someone who I would love to be like. Not necessarily in her situation, but in her attitude. She fits in with the poorest people and fits in with the high society people effortlessly.


Now for Robin's story...

 Robin Hood 2010
Rating: 4 1/2 stars
Synopsis: In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power.
Starring: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Matthew Macfadyen, Oscar Isaac, and Danny Huston.


This has got to be one of the best renditions of Robin Hood I've ever seen (besides the version with Errol Flynn)! The story is realistic, the screenplay couldn't be better, the cast is superb, and everything else just adds to the story's richness.


One of the things I really liked was Russell Crowe cast as Robin Hood (Robin Longstride in this movie)... he nailed the character. Russell's Robin Hood is the just right age - not too young and inexperienced and not to old to fight.

Cate Blanchett is an excellent Marian Loxley. Some reviews have said that this Marian is a feminist in this version Robin Hood, but such is not the case. Her situation is simple - Marian's husband died at war, her father-in-law is blind and old, and there is no male relatives to run the manor. So Marian has no choice but to step up to keep things going... otherwise she'd lose her home. That whole thing is fixed though, when Robin shows up. So I hope that shows Marian's not the feminist that some people consider this rendition to be.

Marian and Robin match so perfectly, too.

And to top the cake off, Matthew Macfadyen plays none other than the Sheriff of Nottingham. Who wants Marian for his own. Seeing Matthew as Mr. Darcy, then as Mr. Arthur Clennam, and then as the Sheriff, is quite an interesting range of characters! But I like to see actors be able to play bad guys and good guys, so I appreciate that kind of acting.

Now let's go from Nottingham to Wonderland...

Alice in Wonderland 2010
Rating: 5 star
Synopsis: When Alice, now a young 19 year old receives a proposal of marriage from a snobby man, she runs off into the gardens to escape and think about the proposal. Alice falls down a rabbit hole and finds Wonderland. Except this time down the hole it's just a little different. She has a destiny - that includes a Jaberwocky and the evil Red Queen. Will Alice succeed in fufilling her destiny? And will the White Queen regain her rightful place as high queen?
Starring: Johnny Depp, Mia Wasikowska, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, and Alan Rickman.


This was interestingly different from your traditional Alice in Wonderland. The Mad Hatter has a sorrowful background, Alice has a proposal of marriage, and the Red Queen has a sister. This movie I would have to say is not for little kids. It's about the same intensity as the Narnia movies. Only a little stranger. And there were so many interesting pictures from this movie that I had to post them. :)

Mia Wasikowska played a very sickly, nervous, somewhat crazy in the head, but charming Alice very, very well. Only this Alice seems to get stronger (mentally and physically) as the story goes on. And her dress in the picture below is one of my favorites. Mia version of Alice captured my attention, but I think she was almost upstaged by...

...this strange fellow below. Which is none other than the Mad Hatter... played by Johnny Depp. They couldn't have picked a better guy for the job of playing Hatter. He made the Mad Hatter very mad. But the interesting thing was... you really liked this character. His story is so sad, you can't help but like him and hate the Red Queen all the more. I feel so sorry for Hatter... but I will leave you to find that out.

Since we just mentioned the Red Queen we might as well take a look at that large headed, ugly, mean, despicable lady. Oops, did I say that? Wouldn't want to lose my head. *in a whisper* But it's the truth all the same. Helena Bonham Carter really must not want even the people on the Red Queen's side to like their queen! She really made the Red Queen as bad of a queen as could be imagined... possibly something akin to "Bloody Mary".





Anne Hathaway plays a very pale, never hurt a fly White Queen. And she always is holding her hands up near shoulders. Kind of like a ballerina. I actually don't like the White Queen all the time. And the dark lipstick is kind of tacky. But if I was in Wonderland, I'd rather have the White Queen rule over me than the Red Queen.


Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee were interesting in their part in the story. And not quite as annoying as I expected. These two were actually played by one guy, not twins.

The Cheshire Cat is one of my favorite characters in Alice inWonderland. The CG on him is pretty neat. And he has the most curious turquoise eyes.  He was voiced well by Stephen Fry. Definitely a thumbs up on the Cat.
The ending was very well done, and although people may say Alice fighting looks feminist, it was the only way the Jaberwocky and Red Queen could be defeated. All in all this was one well done movie with the detail, plot, acting, and the depth of both scenery and characters.

The next movie review will have to be about a kid's movie... and I know just the one. My younger siblings just love it and we've seen it several times due to the fact that we own it. It's one of their favorites.

Photobucket

No comments: